Thanatos
Thanatos
Fumigation from Manna
Hear me, O Death [Thanatos], whose empire unconfin’d, extends to mortal tribes of ev’ry kind.
On thee, the portion of our time depends, whose absence lengthens life, whose presence ends.
Thy sleep perpetual bursts the vivid folds, by which the soul, attracting body holds:
Common to all of ev’ry sex and age, for nought escapes thy all-destructive rage;
Not youth itself thy clemency can gain, vig’rous and strong, by thee untimely slain.
In thee, the end of nature’s works is known, in thee, all judgment is absolv’d alone:
No suppliant arts thy dreadful rage controul, no vows revoke the purpose of thy soul;
O blessed pow’r regard my ardent pray’r, and human life to age abundant spare. (Orphic Hymn for Thanatos)
To Thanatos
To Thanatos, so kind and so good, I offer my praise.
Son of the darkness and the night, of wise Erebos
and raven-haired Nyx, brother of Hypnos who grants a respite
ephemeral and sweet, O Thanatos, you bring a repose
of a longer span–an endless sleep is yours to bestow.
Beautiful Thanatos, well-wreathed with poppies red as blood,
black-winged god, fleet-footed one, bearer of the sharp-edged sword
with which you cut a lock of hair from each who enters Hades’ realm:
some call you merciless, hard of heart, O god who takes
from us those we most love–and yet, dear Thanatos,
yours is a mercy great and freeing, a boundless comfort,
a final peace. O god who gives us life’s last blessing, I praise you. (To Thanatos)
POPPIES
To Thanatos,
Who cloaks
himself in poppies as blood red as blood that flows through our veins,
I invoke you to
these rites incline,
Hear my prayers,
Grant me a
peaceful end to life,
One of no fear,
One where I open
my arms to you like an old friend,
Help me to have
less fear of you, O Thanatos,
Hold that poppy
to me and say: ‘It is not so dreadful my dear.’
O Thanatos,
Why must I fear
you so?
You are
peaceful, not violent like Keres,
O Thanatos,
Who cloaks
himself in poppies as blood red as the blood that flows in our veins,
Help me to
embrace you when my times is near. ( From my unpublished The wings of a butterfly; Thanatos prayer book)
What is it like worshipping Thanatos?
I find it very peaceful. He can be gentle or strong presence. We do not talk about the dream where he tried to scare me and I just went: "Thanatos!" And hugged him. Thanatos is very kind. He listens and is very patient. He enjoys the offerings and he is just a massive comfort. Sometimes I even talk to Hypnos! He does like it when you mention Hypnos, I feel like the brothers are very close. I often say he is someone who I also would have considered my patron, if Hades was not my patron.
What days do I worship Thanatos?
I worship him every day on the 9th, and Thursdays. He does not have a sacred day and I believe his sacred number is 9, hence why I chose the 9th of every month. Thursday does not really have any rhyme or reason, I just like having a day dedicated each week to him.
What myths is Thanatos more prominent in?
The myth of Sisyphus and how the King managed to chain Thanatos. He was then set free when Zeus told Ares to set Thanatos free. Sisyphus was then sentenced to Tartarus to roll a boulder up a hill that would then roll down it again. Thanatos was also unfortunately, wrestled by Herakles in another myth. This god has no luck I swear.
If you wish to talk about Thanatos or enquire about anything else email: marywillsbooks@gmail.com
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment