Hermes

 Hermes 


Hermes is the god of messengers, writers, livestock, guide to the dead, travellers, hospitality, roads, trade, merchants, heralds, thieves, diplomacy, language, athletic contests and so many more that it would take up this blog! He is the son of Maia and Zeus, and is one of the 12 Olympians. He was often depicted in herms. He was also often depicted as a youth or an older man with a beard. Hermes was widely worshipped in ancient Greece and his herms marked boundaries. 
One such herm is seen to the side. His temples were mostly in Peloponnese region, or Arcadia. The one in Arcadia was on Mount Cyllene. 

What are his symbols?

Hares, turtles, caduceus, rams, snakes, guard dogs, and I often associate some birds of prey to Hermes. Such as hawks and red kites. His plants are lavender, strawberries, strawberry tree, crocus, olives. 

What incense to use for him?

I use frankincense, as this is very standard for all deities. Lavender. Strawberry incense or essential oil. Sandalwood sometimes. Storax as well, as same reason for first incense. 

What crytstals to use?

Amethyst, marble, I use any black stone as well. Due to the fact he is also an Underworld deity. Metals wise i have used brass and he seems to be fine with it. 

What are the sacred colours of Hermes?

I associate a sea blue with him- mostly due to Turtles. But his sacred colours are red, black, purple, silver, gold and copper. 

What do I offer him?

I have offered Hermes strawberries, he did not like it. But I offer him olives, dates covered in chocolate, dates, wine (he does like that), beef jerky, chocolate, brownie half, pomegranate and milk with honey. 

What does his altar look like?


I know, his altar is messy- this is what happen throughout the month. I took this day before his cleaning was due! Again, altars are not required. but within mine I have a brass hare statue, a handmade hare I made from plaster of paris and painted. There is a trinket box from Greece with him and Artemis and Apollo on. There is a handmade candle I made him. A resin turtle. Two bronze badges i got at around 12 for hurdles in my high school. A polymer clay badge I made for him with his name on. A section of amethyst, two handmade plaster of paris turtles. His prayer beads around the neck of a statue from Greece, that is him! Of course, his other statue. The altar cloth I made. 

What are my favourite prayers for Hermes?

Orphic Hymn 28 to Hermes (Incense frakincense) 

Hear me, Hermes, messenger of Zeus, son of Maia, 
Almighty is your heart, O lord of the deceased and judge of contests, 
Gentle and clever, O Argeiphontes, you are a guide whose sandals fly, 
And a man-loving prophet to mortals, 
You are vigorous and you delight in exercise and in deciet, 
Interpreter of all, you are a profiteer who frees us of cares and who golds in his hands the blamess tool of peace, 
Lord of Korykos, blessed, helpful and skilled in words, 
You assist in work, you are a friend of mortals in need, 
And you wield the dreaded and respected weapon of speech. 
Hear my prayer and grant a good end to a life of industry, gracious talk, and mindfulness. 

Khthonios Hermes 

When the fates degree that my life thread is to be cut, 
When Thanatos has taken my last breath of air, 
It is you, O Hermes, 
Who will lead me to the gates of Hades, 
To the black clothed ship of Charon, 

I honour you, Khthonios Hermes, 
The guide of souls, 
A sacred duty, you do not take joivally, 

I honour you, Khthonios Hermes, 
Guide me with care, O Hermes, 
When my time has come, 
Grant me a happy end and a life well lived. 

What is it like worshipping Hermes?

Worshipping Hermes is like watching the sun rise. You never know what is going to happen with him, but it is beautiful nonetheless. Hermes is a presence that is always around me. He is in the hares that live in my garden. He is the panpipes, he decides to play at three in the morning and scare the shit out of me. You never know what is going to happen with Hermes, but he is lovely and I am proud to call myself a devotee of his. 

What days do I worship Hermes?

I worship him on the 4th of every month, as that is his birthday. I also worship him every Wednesday, though that is more to do with his Roman counter part Mercury. I also worship him on the 27th of every month. 

What myths is Hermes in?

There is of course, the very famous tale of him stealing Apollo's cattle or how he turned a Tortoise into a lyre. He was in Odyssey in guiding Odysseus. He is involved in the myth of Perseus and gifting him the winged sandals.  There is the slaying of Argus for Zeus, so he can seduce Io. There is the tale of Prometheus and delivering his punishment message. He guides three goddesses to Paris for his judgement. He is the father of Pan. Turned a shepherd called Battos into stone. 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conduit

About this blog

Conduit: Ares