Conduit: Poseidon

 POSEIDON



We all knew it was coming! 

Poseidon is the Greek God of the sea and is married to Amphitrite. He is often depicted as violent, and changing like the sea he controls. He has his moments of kindness, but he is also capable if great wrong doing. He is the son of Kronos and Rhea, the middle son.
  Within Conduit, this is seen with him. He does not start of great in the book. He is seen as annoyed there is mortals and trying to  wonder why the mortals will not bow down to him. It is an insult to him. He is described as having shoulder length blonde hair, sea foam green eyes and bronze skin. He is often changing when angry. His arms ripple and become the back of a stone fish. 
   His relationships with the characters does not go well. He has a fight with Hades and fight with Molly or aka Mols. But why have I purposely written Poseidon like this? it was not to give him a redemption arch. 
   Which it was at first. 
But not anymore. 
   Poseidon is symbolic for the male who does not care what he does within Conduit. Or who he hurts. His myth of Medusa plays a massive role of tension, because both Izzy and Mols are rape victims. At first i was going to have both women react normally but then I went: But would I? The answer is no, iw would not be thrilled is Poseidon stood in front of me. 
  The reason for no redemeption arch is simple. 
You rape someone. 
You cannot redeem yourself. 
   But if we go off the surface level, Poseidon also represents something else altogether. 
He is what happens when mortals take myths literal and use them against the gods. He is what happens when mortals put mortal standards onto the gods. 
   Within Hellenic Polytheism, you are not meant to take the myths literally. I am on board of this and not. As I do believe the myths tell us what the gods are like and can guide us in what to not do. I also take the myths as their history, as I do believe the gods are people. Which will annoy someone, but I do believe they have physical forms and the myths are a sort of history. That being said, I also take them with a pinch of salt. For example, I do not believe the Hades and Persephone myth. For one, her name means the bringer of doom. You could argue it was Kore before, but...why would Hades rape and kidnap someone that could end him? 
   I am getting off course!
   Poseidon is not a character you will particularly like. But he is also someone you will go: Will Mols just stop?! He is not meant to be likable or unlikable. He is a god. He is not held to the standards that mortals are. 
HIs whole point is: Stop holding the gods to mortals standards. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conduit

About this blog

Conduit: Ares